Thursday, November 27, 2014

It's Turkey Time!

Happy Thanksgiving to all who may be celebrating it this week! It's one of my favorite holidays; a chance to meet up with family, watch the beauty of the earth transforming to its winter colors, and hear relatives you don't see very often groan and shake their heads in disgust as they leave the bathroom they've just destroyed. Not to mention football. What a holiday!

Some years ago in church we were challenged to say an entire prayer of thanksgiving. Instead of asking for things, spend the entire prayer thinking about the blessings in your life and express gratitude for them and ask for nothing. As I took that challenge I realized that I have so much more to be thankful for than I really ever imagined. At the time I had a job that I did not like. But every week I met with people who didn't have jobs and were struggling to feed their children. I learned quickly that I truly was thankful for the job I despised. A lot of times the things we want can blur our mind to what we have. You may want something, and then you want another thing, and more and more, then before you realize it you have everything and think you have nothing. Every now and then I will take a minute to stop and think about what I truly have and even though it's not a million dollars in the bank and it's not the newest, nicest things, I really have very little reason to complain.

One of the odd things in my life that I am grateful for are challenges. Like all humans, I have suffered many challenges. My challenges are worse than some peoples, and at the same time mine don't even compare in magnitude to other peoples. I've always taken challenges as a learning opportunity. I've had some bosses that were difficult to work with but from them I learned what type of supervisor I don't want to be. When I've failed at an assignment or project, I have used it to make my next work better. Challenges give us the opportunity to learn about ourselves and how much better we can be. They're not always fun and can sometimes be a long term issue that we have to deal with, but they can really push us to our limits and show others what we are made of. For those reasons, I am thankful for the challenges I've faced in life.

I hope everybody had a safe and wonderful Thanksgiving! The Holiday season is upon us. Whether you celebrate Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa or none of the above, this is a great time of year to spend time with loved ones and enjoy food and festivities. The weather gets colder, the drinks get hotter and for some reason people will kiss each other under a parasitic plant and blame it on the eggnog when their wives find out. Happy Holidays indeed!

And finally: GO SEAHAWKS!

No comments:

Post a Comment